Wednesday 27 February 2013

Unravelling

Unravel? Well, that was just lovely. From the moment I got on to the Farnham train, I knew that I was going to have a good day. Surrounded by the gentle chatter of knitters discussing patterns, needles, tension and general swatch-talk, I wound my way through the countryside trying to imagine what Unravel would have in store for me. Arriving at The Maltings, I saw knitted arrows adorning the lampposts, the trees had been yarn bombed and there was an enormous knitted welcome to Unravel sign. My hopes were up and I was not disappointed. My friend Susie had told me that it would be big, but my imaginings hadn't even come close and as I strolled through room, after room, after room I could only wish I'd had a bigger budget!

I started the day with £30.00 to spend - which any of you knitters out there will know, does not go far in the world of hand-dyed, hand-spun cashmere, alpaca and silk but I was determined to make the most of it. My first (modest) purchase was a gorgeous printed card emblazoned with the motto, "Sew, sew, knit, knit, sew" and hot on the heels of the card, I fell completely in love with the button stall. (Which Susie had warned me would happen!) 

Six brilliant buttons and two metres of allium-embroidered ribbon later, I was ready to invest in some sticks and string. I did try to be methodical - I circled the main hall and explored the other rooms. Touching the wool and assessing skein lengths, comparing prices and thinking what I might be able to make. I took some time away from the show to think about what I really wanted and then I went to town. I managed to spend all but 40p and I would've spent an awful lot more if there had been enough network coverage to get the Paypal app to work!

Ultimately I came away with enough to get four more projects off the ground - none of which were on my original New Year list, but never mind! I'm really looking forward to getting started, although I suppose I really ought to finish some of my existing projects first...


On the needles just now, I have three major projects, a February scarf, an Olive jumper and a Caramel colour-block cardigan. They're all pretty big and to be honest with you I'm a bit daunted by how much work each of them will need to get finished, but a day at Unravel has definitely inspired me and renewed my enthusiasm to get some knitting done.

Currently reading: the really rather good Every Day by David Levithan. It's quite a peculiar premise, but so well written that I can hardly bear to put it down. A special mention to Heartburn by Nora Ephron, which I read last week. It is brilliant. Honest, thoughtful, poignant and witty, this is one woman's story of the end of a marriage. From the moment you open the book, you know what's going to happen - you know that it's not going to end well - but the end is still an absolute shocker. Even if I read it again, I would still be unprepared for how desperately sad the last few pages are. I've passed my copy onto a friend who read it, loved it, cried at the ending and has passed it on again. If you get the chance - read this book. I urge you.




No comments:

Post a Comment